Biryani is one of the most famous rice dishes in the world. Not only the taste, it has lots of variety and different fragrances. In India itself, there are more than 25 to 30 different types of biryanis available.
Biryani comes from Persian word "biryan," which means "fried or roasted" before cooking. I believe the first ever biryani was made in Lucknow.
The best way to make perfect biryani is by "Dum" or "Cooking in steam". Vegetarian Biryani is called Tahiri Biryani.
In this dish, it has mixed vegetable koftas which are usually used in curry; other than that, its a regular method of cooking Biryani.
- For Kofta
2 medium Potato Boiled potatoes, mashed
1 medium Carrot Grated
1 medium Green Capsicum fine chopped
1 Cup Cabbage fine chopped
1 Green Chili, chopped
2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 tsp Chat Masala
1/2 Lemon Juice
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Rice Flour
Oil for Shallow frying
- For Gravy
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Tomatoes, pureed
1 tsp Ginger, grated
1 tbsp Garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Chili powder
3/4 tsp Garam Masala
1 tbsp Biryani Masala (optional; if you dont have this increase the quantity of Garam Masala)
4 tbsp Curds
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Bay Leave
2 tbsp Oil
2 tsp Cilantro and Mint, chopped
Salt and sugar to taste
1 cup Basmati Rice
2 Bay leaves
Juice from half Lemon
1 tsp Oil
Salt to taste
3 Big onions sliced and deep fried
2 tbsp Mint Leaves, chopped
1/3 Cup Milk
1 tbsp Ghee
1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
A few strands of Saffron (optional)
- Prepare Koftas
1. Combine all the vegetables except potatoes and cook them in the microwave for 4-5 mins (just the way we do it for Manchurian) so that their will be no water content.
2. Once it cools down; mix all the remaining ingredients and prepare medium size koalas.
3. Pre-heat the oven at 200 0 c and Bake the koftas for 25 mins or till they become golden brownish from both sides. Turn the koftas on the other side after 15 mins to make sure that the koftas become golden brown from all sides.
( You can shallow fry/Deep-fry koftas in a non-stick pan at little oil over medium flame, till both sides are golden brown. Drain and keep aside.)
- Prepare Gravy
1. Heat oil in a pan and sauté the onion till they are translucent.
2. Add tomato puree, ginger, garlic, turmeric, and chili powder and cook till the oil
3. Add garam masala and biryani masala, and sauté for further 2 minutes.
4. Add curds, sugar and salt. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes. Garnish it with chopped cilantro and keep aside.
- Prepare Rice
1. Clean and wash the rice.
2. In a pan, heat a tsp. of oil add cloves, bay leaves. Just fry them for a min or two and remove from the gas. Keep it aside.
3. In a microwave bowl mix in the Rice and enough water. Add salt, oil, lemon juice and the Whole Garam Masala Tadka. Cook it on microwave high for about 10 mins or till the rice is cooked. Remove from the Microwave and keep aside.
-Assembling the Biryani
1. In a greased microwave bowl (Large), spread the half the rice to form one even layer.
2. Arrange half the Koftas over the rice.
3. Spoon the gravy on top and sprinkle the mint leaves, fried onions.
4. Spread another layer of rice and repeat Step 2 & 3. Again cover it with the last layer of rice.
5. In another pan, combine the milk, ghee, cardamom powder, and saffron, and bring
to a boil.
6. Pour over the layered biryani.
7. Microwave this uncovered for 10 mins on microwave high. After10 mins. remove from the microwave and keep it covered for atleast 5 mins.8. Serve hot. For the best side dish with Biryani, is Onion raita or any raita. I served it along with Mixed fruit Raita.
also posting the following links for the above mentioned event:-